Earn this pin by completing the following requirements within the first year of becoming a Girl Scout Mariner:
• Know and recite the Girl Scout Promise
• Know and recite the Girl Scout Law
• Complete option A or B described below
A. Mariners ON or IN water
1. Acquire basic swimming skills by swimming fifty (50) yards using any stroke, and treading water fully clothed for three (3) minutes.
2. Select a watercraft or water sport.
B. Mariners NEAR water
1. Learn basic skills to prevent drowning.
2. Select a focus area, such as marine or aquatic ecology.
3. Study and learn the safety protocol required for the focus area
Although most girls will pursue option A, option B exists for girls who want to become Mariners but are unable to access the traditional Mariner experience. Girls who choose Option B should work with their troop leader to determine which of the skills described will best support her safe Mariner experience. Girls who choose Option A should start by earning the pin, then complete water safety, and finally choose path one or path two to continue her Mariner experience.
Learn more in our guidelines to dive deeper into the Girl Scout Mariner experience.